TV’s Trojan Horse
As a Parent, If you ask yourself what’s worse than Family Guy, Jerry Springer and other similar trash on TV ? You might say Nothing is Worse. After All, that’s as Bad as Television can get.
You might want to think the question again though. Family Guy and Jerry Springer have become far too obvious for Satan to use as a means of polluting our Families and Children. Instead, he’s now using a tactic that the Ancient Greeks used to siege the City of Troy:
The Trojan Horse.
While Historians and Scholars debate the historical facts about the Trojan Horse, the Concept is still the same today.
By destiny compell’d, and in despair,
The Greeks grew weary of the tedious war,
And by Minerva’s aid a fabric rear’d,
Which like a steed of monstrous height appear’d:
The sides were plank’d with pine; they feign’d it made
For their return, and this the vow they paid.
Thus they pretend, but in the hollow side
Selected numbers of their soldiers hide:
With inward arms the dire machine they load
And iron bowels stuff the dark abode.
-Virgils Aenid, Book 2.
ICarly was the Number One Kids show as rated by Nielsen Media Research (NMR) in 2009.
The show is centered around a teenaged girl named Carly Shay who lives with her 28 year old brother Spencer, in a Seattle Loft Apartment. Together with her Two best friends they produce a Webcast (TV Broadcast on the World Wide Web) eponymously known as “ICarly”.
It seems innocent enough right ?
Let’s look at this “Trojan Horse” detail:
- The only Parental Figure, Spencer, is depicted as an Immature, Bumbling Idiot. The Origin’s of Carly’s Mother are never mentioned and her Father, while mentioned on many occasions never makes an appearance. Already we see the lack of any parental guidance and a total breakdown of the Traditional Family. The Lack of any Parental Supervision is quite normal. The only Parent is an Imbecile. The message that gets across is ” Parents are Idiots, We don’t Need Them”.
- Episodes often contain the same recurring themes. Carly’s friend Sam is proud of her ability to Lie. Carly always has a Crush on some boy (usually “Bad” boys). Sam is mean, aggressive and always ready to start a fight. Sam is always mean to their friend Freddy, the last character in the Triumvirate. The message here is “There are no consequences to our actions” and “Being Bad is Cool”.
- The Teenagers are often depicted without having any boundaries. They do as they please. After all, Spencer is a Moron. There is no responsibility for their actions. The message to Children is clear “Parents Get in the Way of What we Want”.
- Freddy is constantly emasculated by Sam. The message is “It’s Ok to disrespect others”.
- In Many episodes, the Lead Characters lack any Empathy towards their fellow human beings. All that matters is themselves.
- The Show depicts many over the top and unrealistic events.
The Negative Behaviours far outweigh anything that could even be considered positive about the series.
If you search the Web, you’ll find numerous resources so that you can do your own research and make an informed decision. You don’t have to watch many episodes either to see for yourself. I wouldn’t recommend the latter as it can be an unpleasant and insulting experience.
If you have Children you’ve probably already heard of, or seen an episode or two. The show is aimed at “Tweens” or ages 9-12 old. Nickelodeon (YTV in Canada) have marketed this as a Kids Comedy. Since the show is Aired on Channels for Kids, as Parents we are less likely to pay any attention to the show’s Content. You might even allow the show into your homes on a Regular Basis.
Companies like Nickelodeon and Disney have been competing for Ratings. While they MAY at one time have been interested in bringing quality programming into Family’s Homes, It’s all come down to Ratings and the Almighty Dollar. It’s not the Obvious Filth on TV we have to watch out for anymore.
We have to be diligent in Preventing Satan from using Trojan Horse Tactics to Infiltrate and Poison our Lives.